Thursday, September 11, 2008

If I Only Had Rack

I'd be employed
But so single
They'd be payin' me to mingle
If I only had a rack

There'd be tippin' and some drinkin'
With some ever so light thinkin'
If I only had a rack

While New York may be an "at will" work state I have to wonder what it says about a society when federal equal employment laws are so flagrantly flaunted. The number of job postings I've come across that specify that the employer is only looking for females is mind-boggling. The number of ads that specifically reference Coyote Ugly is downright depressing. That movie has done to bartending what the movie Sideways did my dear friend Merlot.

While I'm the first to admit that gender inequality is part and parcel to the bartending industry, it's generally something that employers are savvy enough to express in subtle, less obvious ways than by outright saying that they're looking for a nice rack that probably won't spill the drinks. The friends I've made here simply chalk it up to New York having it's own way of doing things, which is fine up to a point. Leaving the trash all over the sidewalk, screaming at complete strangers, and cabbies that look at you like you've eaten one of their children if you ask them to cross the East River to name but a few. These are all fine and good as every city has it's own distinct personality (or complete lack thereof in some cases), but it's a sad statement on a town's sense of it's own importance when employers can't even be bothered to be clever about breaking federal laws.

On the plus side, it makes sorting out the coked-up scumbags a heck of a lot easier.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dear friend Merlot is a spineless, fruity hussy.

5:37 PM, September 20, 2008  
Blogger zortnac said...

Sue them all and let the supreme court sort them out, I say. I hate the way your mattress story concluded :-(

By the by, may I please have yours and Paul's mailing address? BUT DON'T POST IT HERE THE INTERNET HAS EYES, THE CORN HAVE EARS, AND BEAN STALK.

Wishing you two the best.

3:27 PM, October 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zeroes:

Welcome to the East Coast. There are two spots in the West Village where you don't need a "rack" to get a job. Try Cafe Loup on West 13th Street and Bar 6 on Sixth Avenue between 12th and 13th Streets.

Good luck,

Lyngwood

11:28 AM, October 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home